Apple iPhone and iPad devices come with non-removable batteries but this is not a problem considering the fact that batteries in those devices last really long. But many die-hard Apple Inc. fans complain that iPhone and iPad chargers aren’t so good in terms of build quality. Constant plugging and unplugging, twisting, bending, travel damage etc. decrease the life of charger cords considerably and sometimes, these charging cords damage quickly than expected. It is always better to fix a broken iPhone charger cord than buying an expensive charger cable from the Apple store.
Frankly, it is really easy to fix an iPhone charging cord that won’t charge and those who don’t have any prior experience can also easily do it. But first one needs to check whether the problem lies with charging cord or within the iPhone or iPad. If the problem lies within the iPad or iPhone, then don’t mess up with iPhone/iPad charging cord. If your charging cord is not working or broke right at the base of the plug, follow these steps to fix a broken iPhone/iPad charger cord.
How to fix a broken iPhone charger cord?
- One needs to be very careful while repairing charging cord as a small error will turn it into garbage. You need a knife, scissor, heat shrink tube and electrical tape to fix a broken iPhone charger cord.
- Use knife to separate the outer casing of the connecting plug. Be careful while doing so and don’t cut any copper wires or anything inside.
- Cut the cord and you can see small copper wires wrapped in foil. For an inch or so, remove the foil and now, you will have fully exposed copper wires to work with.
- This is the crucial step in fixing a broken iPhone charger cord that won’t charge. Slide the heat shrinking tube on to the charging cord and twist together the corresponding wires.
- Wrap the electric tape on each and every pairing. After that, wrap the electric tube over the entire grouping and slide the heat shrink over the worked area.
- Use butane lighter or something similar to shrink the tubing. Be careful and don’t heat the charger cord too much.
- The repaired iPhone charging cord may not look as original but this repaired one works same as that of original iPhone/iPad charger.
- You can use this method to repair iPhone 5/6/7 charging USB cable that is not working. Repair after seeing DIY tutorials only.
It is always better to fix a broken iPhone charger cord immediately after your observe any damage. Also, don’t misinterpret signs of wear and tear as damage.